Re: [glob2-devel] Pheramonal-Directional Algorithm

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Pheramonal-Directional Algorithm
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:39:54 +0100

Hi,

Take care, there are gradients for each building, each ressource, both for
units that can swim and ones that can't. That's much more than 1 MB!

The reason why we dropped pheromones from version 1 to version 2 is that in
version one units explore randomly, and lay down gradients when goind back to
buildings. Thus gradient is only used to find ressource and not to pathfind.
In version 1, pathfinding is a simple directional one with left-hand
algorithm on obstacles, so it is much worst than what we have in glob2.
Pheromones alone can't solve our problem ; pheromones + A* can, if
implemented correctly. The question now is: would it be better than what we
have now and at which cost?

Steph

P.S.    Wiki don't really need authentification but that's a plus. Furthermore,
the less different sub-systems we have to administrate the better it is. Any
suggestion?