Re: [glob2-devel] Pheramonal-Directional Algorithm

From: Andrii Zvorygin
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Pheramonal-Directional Algorithm
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:08:02 -0500

On 11/6/05, Andrew Sayers <address@hidden> wrote:
>    Some local congestion problems can be avoided if globs are allowed to
>    cross each other. Also if faster globs have higher priority, they can
>    force a slower one to go back a position, provoking a cross between both
>    globs. Imagine a faster glob (F) and a slower glob (S) going in the same
>    direction on a 1 lane way. F goes twice as fast as S.

Although it's not as efficient as exchanging places, you can get a
little of this effect with the system of driving on the left.  It would
be quite easy to change the algorithm so that faster globs were more
likely to change lane than slower globs, which should create fast and
slow lanes.

        - Andrew

well i dono, personally my idea was that if it encounters a slow glob it will simply go in an available pheramonal direction, i.e. say they are in a large expanse, since there is a path on both sides (at least 3 pheramonal paths per side) it will see the slow glob as an obstacle and could say default to the left if there is room available of course. so i think in that sense it's a really good idea as otherwise they would move say to either side (though there is also the danger that if they move always to the left our paths might start migrating left so that will have to be looked into, i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to test as it's possible they would not, though if say there is a building and it's faster to go around the right isntead of the left... well we could just do an A* calculation from point of collision to the target to see which way would be faster and then choose that (but we can say so as not to increase cpu load we could make it once every third, though i doubt it would be such an issue)

but say if they are going down a shaft where there are only two lanes for traffic, if we let them simply by pass the the left that would be disasterous as there would be over congestion.
however if they dont move into paths with opposing direction then there would not be, and the opposing direction could be sensed and wont be walked on as the cost would be too high as would be scene through a calculation done by through A*