Re: [glob2-devel] Hosting (again I know but we are going forward)

From: Shirish Agarwal
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hosting (again I know but we are going forward)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:40:51 +0530

address@hidden wrote:
Message: 4
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:26:05 +0100
From: Stephane Magnenat <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Hi,

Now that icclus refused to host either our forum nor yog, I suggest we go for Kyle's or Micka�l proposal.
What we need:
- Wiki
- Forum
- YOG

I suggest we host the files on savannah, I'm uploading them right now...

I'm not very happy with our actual wiki (pmwiki), specially because adding a user requires administrator action, which is very very bad to attract new people.

I'm not very happy with our actual forum (phpbb), because it seems quite prone to hacking, although that if it is installed using debian-pavages it should be ok.

I'm very happy with YOG ;-)

On the long term, I would like to reduce the amount of work required on administrating the server things. In particular, I would like to unify the wiki and the forum, because having two community areas is too much. I thus suggest we use mediawiki engine, and use talk pages for the forum-like feature.

What do you think? Who would be ready to help moving the things to the new system?

Thanks,

Steph

Hi all,
Although I've been following u'r discussions for some-time now & do find the whole affair quite interesting & entertaining. As never been a developer there had never been an opportunity to contribute in any meaningful way. Anyway as per your needs, there are few things you could look at. For forum another software which is quite good could be found at www.simplemachines.org . Also phBB has been upgraded to 2.0.18 & it promises to fix many things. Although personally like simplemachines.org for the kind of customization it offers to administrators & users alike. Also it has its own well-developed forum for support is just an icing to the cake. The next thing is the mediawiki thing, I've done some small edits in wikipedia & like the way its structured. So as a user would recommend also that one. The rest is unto u to chose what fits best.
                                    Keep up the good work!

-- Shirish Agarwal
                         Life is a dream Enjoy it!
                         Creative Commons, Attribution