Re: [glob2-devel] Hosting (again I know but we are going forward)

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hosting (again I know but we are going forward)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:38:38 -0800

Martin Voelkle wrote:
Hello
    Now that icclus refused to host either our forum nor yog, I suggest
    we go for
    Kyle's or Micka�l proposal.
    What we need:
    - Wiki
    - Forum
    - YOG

    I suggest we host the files on savannah, I'm uploading them right now...

    I'm not very happy with our actual wiki (pmwiki), specially because
    adding a
    user requires administrator action, which is very very bad to
    attract new
    people.

    I'm not very happy with our actual forum (phpbb), because it seems
    quite prone
    to hacking, although that if it is installed using debian-pavages it
    should
    be ok.

    I'm very happy with YOG ;-)

    On the long term, I would like to reduce the amount of work required on
    administrating the server things. In particular, I would like to
    unify the
    wiki and the forum, because having two community areas is too much.
    I thus
    suggest we use mediawiki engine, and use talk pages for the forum-like
    feature.

    What do you think? Who would be ready to help moving the things to
    the new
    system?

Talk pages are not meant to replace forums, just to link a discussion page to a content page, which is not a good replacement for a forum. It would be better to go for a plain old wiki (mediawiki can do that too). The downside of mediawiki is that it requires a database back-end, which might be a problem or not.

And why is authentification necessary on this wiki?

Martin
I don't know why authentication is on there, I'll leave it to steph if she wants to leave it (it's at the bottom of the LocalSettings.php file).

as for YOG, what I would really like to see is a way to link it accross multiple systems, and have the addy be yog.globulation2.org, with a cname to whatever such as what we did with irc.globulation2.org,

Kyle

PS. metaserver just went down as I'm writing this