Re: [glob2-devel] Gradient algorithm update

From: MOA3333
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Gradient algorithm update
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:51:09 -0800

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:12:32 +0000, "Andrew Sayers"
<address@hidden> said:
> I've just rewritten the gradient algorithm in the CVS head.  It's the
> same basic algorithm, but using pointers now instead of integers.  I've
> been working on this stuff a lot in the map-rewrite branch so I *should*
> know what I'm doing, but I'd appreciate people looking over
> updateGlobalGradient() in Map.cpp.

Thats great. I knew that the gradient system "could" be faster but i
still think
a mixed system (mixing gradient, pheromones and flags) could work even
faster.
I was thinking about a system with pheromonesnad flags,
as a continuation of my last email about the network protocol,
but i am still not sure of how to implement some details.

> With that and -O2, I've managed to get the only 512x512 map I could find
> (RMHM_no_Rush_Migration_Huge_Map_by_moa3333) running at less than 100%
> processor load.

I never was able to play this map.

> As well as being a significant speed increase, this goes a long way to
> proving the assumption I've been working on for a while: that most of
> the processor time is being used up updating gradients.

Yes, in general with finding the path of units.  But also the checksums
consume about 0.3 of CPU or so.