[glob2-devel] Gradient algorithm update

From: Andrew Sayers
Subject: [glob2-devel] Gradient algorithm update
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:12:32 +0000

I've just rewritten the gradient algorithm in the CVS head.  It's the
same basic algorithm, but using pointers now instead of integers.  I've
been working on this stuff a lot in the map-rewrite branch so I *should*
know what I'm doing, but I'd appreciate people looking over
updateGlobalGradient() in Map.cpp.

With that and -O2, I've managed to get the only 512x512 map I could find
(RMHM_no_Rush_Migration_Huge_Map_by_moa3333) running at less than 100%
processor load.

As well as being a significant speed increase, this goes a long way to
proving the assumption I've been working on for a while: that most of
the processor time is being used up updating gradients.

        - Andrew