Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar changed to gradients, requesting tips on updat

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar changed to gradients, requesting tips on update algorithm
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:57:00 +0100

From what I know about CPU's, although my knowledge is not extensive,
CPU's work fastest with integers of their word size, meaning a 32 bit
gradient would be fastest for most cpus, and a 64 bit gradient would
be best on newer 64 bit cpu's, but only insane people use 64/32 bit
gradients. The speed operated by 8 or 16 bit gradients on conventional
cpus would not be very different.

Well, that is correct for 8/16 bits old CPU and 32 bits pure RISC ones (such as PPC or Sparc). With recent CPU, that is not the case any more, because the memory bandwidth is the limit and the cache hide the rest.