Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar changed to gradients, requesting tips on updat

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar changed to gradients, requesting tips on update algorithm
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:03:22 -0800

Well, I have managed to get the new gradient system to work, although
it seems to be rather slow, it works fine. It will offer a great deal
more flexibilty in how nicowar decides where to place buildings. Soon
I will commit my changes. Next things on the todo list:
    Make sure loading and saving function properly and fully.
    Make sure net works (I don't see why not)
    Make Nicowar configurable from a config file (for easier tuning)
    Go on a big bug hunt
    Get someone (preferably not me because I'm nicowars developer) to
fine tune nicowars variables for good play.

The idea that nicowar should be configurable from a config file is
nothing new in my mind, infact I have been thinking of such a thing
for a while. Because of Nicowars design, it could be easily optmized
for level 1, level 2, level 3 buildings, early or late game attacks,
economics or warfare, anything is possible. Thus Nicowars strategy
could easily be made to resemble a specific persons strategy, like
AppleBoys new strategy: rush for explorer attacks, or my strategy:
rush for level 2 barracks quickly and attack early, or nct's strategy,
ruch for prestige. Although we will most likely give it only one
"personality" for 1.0, I certainly like the thought that it could
learn from a human being and play like them.

If you haven't figured it out already, I really like working with
artificial intelligence :)