Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar changed to gradients, requesting tips on updat

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Nicowar changed to gradients, requesting tips on update algorithm
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:20:35 +0100

> I heard boost had a thing where you could use templates to select an
> integer type based on the properties you want it to have, which would
> certainly be the *most* portable solution, since not all systems may
> have a 16 bit integer in the first place, those typedefs are from SDL
> right?

Well, that's nice to be portable, but let face some reality, glob2 will
*never* run on anything that is below 32 bits! So char, short and int can be
assumed to have the right size. This said, we have always used SDL types
(Sint32, Uint32, i.e. [S/U]int[size_in_bit]) which is simple, easy to read
and portable when a specific size is required.

Boost is nice, but there is some time, such as this one, when
over-templatization is useless.

http://nct.ysagoon.com