Re: [glob2-devel] Hints on starting to implement sound events

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Hints on starting to implement sound events
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:23:04 +0100

On Saturday 14 January 2006 18:56, Fernando J. Rodríguez (Herr Groucho) wrote:
> El Mar 10 Ene 2006 06:30, Stéphane Magnenat escribió:
> > Fernando J. Rodríguez (Herr Groucho) wrote:
> > > What about adding sound events triggered when a building or unit
> > > is selected (different sounds depending on the state of the
> > > building or unit selected), when GUI elements are used, when
> > > units do something (harvesting, attacks, magic attacks, etc.),
> > > when buildings do something (defense tower shooting a stone,
> > > upgrades, destructions, etc.)?
> > >
> > > It would add some ambieance to the game...
> >
> > Well, some years ago we decided against adding sound because the
> > music is already action dependant, and so sound would tend to
> > disturb it/make noise. Now if someone produces clean, nice and
> > proper sound, this can be reconsidered.
>
> I think I'm going to see what it takes to implement sound events
> through que game, and let somebody else create some nice sound
> events.
>
> Any hint on where to start looking at?

Depends the type of event you want. If it is for GUI, it's either inlibgag or
if it is for the game it is in MapGUI::handleMenuClick.

Sound can be mixed through my SoundMixer class, which would probably require
some (simple) changes to account for the click things.

But at your place I would first have the sound then add the code.

http://nct.ysagoon.com