Re: [glob2-devel] features popularity

From: Nuage
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] features popularity
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 04:08:40 +0100

Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> What will happen if more than one person wants to host a metaserver
> (although probably unlikely)? Will they have to have a midawiki set
> up? Remember to keep the server as self sustained as possible, not
> relying on any other configuration or existance, and it should not be
> strictly compatible with mediawiki or phpbb databases, it should be
> able to work with any with relative ease.

I agree on that, I always like monolithic stuff....

> As well, just a side question, do all net games go through yog? Or is
> the yog server just a metaserver that hosts the list of games and whos
> online, and allows players to connect to eachother?

Right YOG "only" show you the list of games and players, and let them chat
together. But the special feature is that you can be behind a NAT or "soft
firewall", and still play together.

If you go to play "LAN game", you can enter any IP adress of the game host. He
can be anywhere on the internet. But if he has some NAT or firewall protection,
and the 7008 port is not manualy configured into the firewall, then there is no
way to join the game.