Re: [glob2-devel] Re: I am taking upon the task as to redesign the map e

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Re: I am taking upon the task as to redesign the map editor
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:27:06 -0700

Weeks have gone by...
The mainling list remains silent...

Untill one man steps up!
To break the silence!
To send a message!

I'm sorry for criticizing your code, nct and nuage.

Back to the map editor:

I'm trying to get the map editor to use the same kind of panelling as
in the main gui, and I've run into one main fault. The map editor is
seperate to GameGUI, and its GameGUI that does the drawing and
containing of the Game, however, its Game that draws the main screen.
In a similair effect, MapEditor also contains and manages a Game,
however, I need to tap into GameGUI's drawing code to be able to share
the panelling (without the ubliquous copy and paste).

What I'm thinking is that we take seperate GameGUI and MapEditor from
Game, and instead, have all three classes managed by Engine. So Engine
will contain a Game, and either a MapEditor or GameGUI depending on
the circumstances. In this manner, MapEditor and GameGUI are under
Game, instead of the converse, and handle only user-interface related
things. This would free up MapEditor to use GameGUI for whatever
reason, or even better, a third class could be made (or a set of
widgets based on libgag, for future for-seeable), which itself would
only do drawing, and both GameGUI and MapEditor share usage of this
"Drawing" class. Although the latter would take longer, it would be
more permament.

Do you feel this is acomplishable? If your available, we can discuss it on IRC.