Re: [glob2-devel] Re: I am taking upon the task as to redesign the map e

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Re: I am taking upon the task as to redesign the map editor
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:32:18 +0200

On Sunday 16 April 2006 00:29, Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> Well, in the proccess of doing this, I have encountered the following,
> and need some guidance:
>

> GameGUI is run on "steps" and "syncSteps" that Engine provides it,
> however, Widgets are not run on "steps" or "syncSteps", instead,
> Widgets are run on "onTimer".
>
> Is there any differences or similairities between the two? Can I map
> one directly to the other?

Normally, to execute a screen, you call Sceen::execute. But GameGUI must not
be executed using Screen::execute as the engine must do some game and network
work for each frame displayed. So Screen::onTimer will be called explicitly
from Engine. So you can map steps to onTimer. But take care, syncSteps
methods are critical and must be executed the same way on all computers.
There should be no GUI code in them.