[glob2-devel] Basic core engine

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [glob2-devel] Basic core engine
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 12:29:57 -0400

I've done up a quick Core Engine design. The new system doesn't differ
greatly from what we have, but there is a clear intersection and
change at several points.

http://globulation2.org/wiki/Core_Engine_Design_Document

The team and player stuff I just threw in there, and I will be
extending the document with a full Net system design when I'm done.

The stuff I will be implementing is the "Core Header Classes":
GameHeader and MapHeader. The unfortenate reality is that even though
most of the data is the same, the simple action of moving a couple of
variables arround makes reverse compatibility extremely difficult to
do, since the old structure needs to be read in, then converted to the
new structure.

People don't seem as against the idea as I thought, so long as
everyone agrees that the new system is extensible enough that we won't
have to break reverse compatibility again, then I will begin
implementing it.

I like the idea of using a gzip and metafiles. It would even allow for
the SGSL script to be saved as a file in the script, rather than as in
binary in the code. The gzip part makes sure that everything is small,
there is allot of repitition in the output of save files and they zip
nicely.

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.