Re: [glob2-devel] Basic core engine

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Basic core engine
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:42:47 +0200

On Wednesday 04 April 2007, Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> I've done up a quick Core Engine design. The new system doesn't differ
> greatly from what we have, but there is a clear intersection and
> change at several points.
>
> http://globulation2.org/wiki/Core_Engine_Design_Document
>
> The team and player stuff I just threw in there, and I will be
> extending the document with a full Net system design when I'm done.
>
> The stuff I will be implementing is the "Core Header Classes":
> GameHeader and MapHeader. The unfortenate reality is that even though
> most of the data is the same, the simple action of moving a couple of
> variables arround makes reverse compatibility extremely difficult to
> do, since the old structure needs to be read in, then converted to the
> new structure.

If we rework the core structure, I think it is good to think wether the
difference between and players is still relevent or not. Would it be better
to have only players (i.e. one team per player) and allow building sharing
between player, with the option of having fixed alliances?

I have currently no opininos on what is best, I just know the answer is not
obvious and implies both technical and gameplay constraints.

> I like the idea of using a gzip and metafiles. It would even allow for
> the SGSL script to be saved as a file in the script, rather than as in
> binary in the code. The gzip part makes sure that everything is small,
> there is allot of repitition in the output of save files and they zip
> nicely.

please do not uses gzip with tar, but rather stardard zip files, the
compression algo is the same but the list of file is available prior to the
decompression in zip files but not in tar.gz files ; this makes zip files
much more suitable for virtual filesystem integration.

http://nct.ysagoon.com