Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 22 Released

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 22 Released
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:53:46 +0200

>> By the way, we should add -Wall in configure.in (it was once, who removed
>> it?). And perhaps also use -O2 instead of -O3 and add -g. Those were the
>> previous default values I think.
>
> In the HEAD cvs, -Wall should be added, agreed. -O3  (as opposed to
> -O2 -g) was chosen because a user who knows how to use gdb will be
> able to override compile settings. An average user will see a crash
> and know nothing of how to solve it. When debugging with them, we can
> simply tell them how to compile with -g. Other users, especially on
> low cpu systems, can benifet from the noticable speed increase that
> comes with -O3. If people strongly feel the differ, we can change
> those options on the next release.

I think "-O3" isn't much better than "-O2".
We could use "-ffast-math" for PerlinNoise.cpp.

With "-g -O2" users can make backtraces without having to compile glob2
at all.
We could measure speed, to see if it is worth it.

"-O3" in HEAD is bad.  It increases compilation time considerably
without much speed improvements.  Given the frequency of compilation
this is no good.

I like "-Wall".