Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 22 Released

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 22 Released
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:47:02 -0400

On 4/4/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
I think "-O3" isn't much better than "-O2".
We could use "-ffast-math" for PerlinNoise.cpp.

I have measured this, automated inlining makes allot of difference,
especially in my newer Echo code, where the interface wasn't designed
arround low overheads.

With "-g -O2" users can make backtraces without having to compile glob2
at all.
We could measure speed, to see if it is worth it.

I have. It does make a difference. To the CPU starved end user, it
would make quite a bit of difference.

"-O3" in HEAD is bad.  It increases compilation time considerably
without much speed improvements.  Given the frequency of compilation
this is no good.

Thats why -O3 isn't used in head. You compile with ./configure
CXXFLAGS="whatever u want".

I like "-Wall".