Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 22 Released

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 22 Released
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:20:12 +0200

> On 4/4/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think "-O3" isn't much better than "-O2".
>> We could use "-ffast-math" for PerlinNoise.cpp.
>
> I have measured this, automated inlining makes allot of difference,
> especially in my newer Echo code, where the interface wasn't designed
> arround low overheads.

Ok.  Generally I like numbers, but a lot is ok.
Some people assume the difference between "-O2" and "-O3" is up to 3%
on average software.  That is worth to consider.

You just refer to "-O3" not "-ffast-math", don't you?

>> "-O3" in HEAD is bad.  It increases compilation time considerably
>> without much speed improvements.  Given the frequency of compilation
>> this is no good.
>
> Thats why -O3 isn't used in head. You compile with ./configure
> CXXFLAGS="whatever u want".

Somethimes I forget this and just do:  ./configure

By the way, do you intend to look further into replacing autotools?