Re: [glob2-devel] plus key bug

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] plus key bug
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:42:05 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thursday 05 April 2007 16:09:09 Joe Wells wrote:
>> Joe Wells <address@hidden> writes:
>> > BUG:  Typing "+" (on my keyboard this is "Shift" together with "=")
>> > doesn't work.  I can only use the keypad "+".  This is a bigger
>> > problem for me because my particular keyboard (which is on my portable
>> > computer) doesn't actually have a keypad and simulates one by using
>> > the num-lock key to temporarily turn many ordinary keys (7, 8, 9, 0,
>> > u, i, o, p, [, j, k, l, ;, m, ",", ., and /) into keypad keys.
>>
>> I now know why this is happening.  The SDL key events glob2 gets for
>> “+” are:
>>
>>   SDLK_LSHIFT (key down)       (this could also be SDLK_RSHIFT)
>>   SDLK_EQUALS (key down)
>>   SDLK_EQUALS (key up)
>>   SDLK_LSHIFT (key up)
>>
>> glob2 is expecting to get just SDLK_PLUS instead, so it ignores the
>> keys.
>>
>> I am guessing the main developers must use a keyboard where “+” is not
>> a shifted key.  Am I right?
>>
>> I'm not sure what the correct solution is.  I suppose there is some
>> SDL function that will translate the keys being pressed into the
>> correct ASCII symbol.
>>
>> Anyway, it would be nice if “=” did the same thing as “+” so I would
>> not have to press the shift key ...
>
> Not really,

I'm not sure what you mean by “not really”.  Are you saying you
dislike my idea that “=” could do the same as “+”?  For my keyboard,
“=” is a much better character to use because it doesn't require using
the shift key.  It would remind me of “+” because it is on the same
key.

> but those things should be handled by SDL

I think they probably are, but it needs invoking the right functions.

A quick look at the libsdl documentation installed on my computer at

  file:///usr/share/doc/libsdl1.2-dev/docs/html/guideinputkeyboard.html

makes me think that the “unicode” field of the key event will hold the
right information provided the SDL_EnableUNICODE function is called at
initialization time to ask SDL to convert key events into characters.

--
Joe