[glob2-devel] Tutorial and scripting improvements

From: Raoul Verveer
Subject: [glob2-devel] Tutorial and scripting improvements
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 04:35:10 +0200

Hi y'all!

There are some minor bugs / wishes I've encountered during translation
and testing of the game*:

1) When placing the attack flag, no warriors will come to the flag when
the width of the flag is set to less than two.

2) The button 'Campaign text' in the scripteditor cannot be translated.
At least, it didn't appear with the textshot feature and I couldn't find
a similar key in the english text file.

3) The campaign text cannot be translated. I don't think it will be too
difficult to implement a translation function and it will certainly
increase the consistancy of the game. I'm sorry, I'm not a coder
(although I'm learning :P). I would have done it myself if I could. ;)

*Should I report these to the bugtracker?

Then there are some improvements that can be made to the tutorial*:

4) In the tutorial you've been told twice to reduce the units assigned
to the Inn, just after it's been build. However, this is done by
default. Instead, perhaps a hint can be given that it is not necessary
to assign more than one unit to the Inn.

5) The tutorial talks about the orange trees and lets you question about
the usability of those orange trees. However, the tutorial doensn't
cover building markets to make use of these fruit resources. Wouldn't it
be a good idea to implement this in the tutorial, or should that be
covered in an advanced tutorial?

6) In one occurance in the tutorial you're being ordered to build three
more Inns. The message will dissapear after hitting space. Then the
script will wait until the Inns are build. Wouldn't it be a good idea to
keep the initial message visible by removing the 'space' command in the
tutorial script? Another option would be to have an extra message 'Build
three Inns' that will stay visible after hitting space.

7) Perhaps it's a good idea to point the player to the number of
explorers and warriors instead of only workers. While playing the
tutorial many times, it happened more than once that my explorers were
destroyed before I was being ordered to place the explorer flag at the
enemy base. Considering this, I think it would be good to tell the
player to produce extra explorers when there are none while placing the
explorer flag.

* Regarding these queries, I espacially address to the writers of the
tutorial (Ghislain Leveque, Stéphane Magnenat and Bradley Arsenault) and
it's translators (Manuel Soukup, Igor Támara and Hernan Quishpe), but of
course any one is encouraged to respond with their comments.

Thanks in advance!

o/
Raoul Verveer