Re: [glob2-devel] first steps in mercurial

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] first steps in mercurial
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:57:26 +0200

i guess i just did something wrong but i can't quite tell:
i committed a change in unit assignment that seams to work as desired but is
barely tested and shows some minor bugs i wouldn't want to commit to HEAD.

Now my branching attempts failed i guess so the commit went into HEAD.
How do i do branches on the remote repository??

I think steph is working on a repository == branch approach.
So something like:

One once create a repository:
# hg clone --remotecmd https://hg.globulation2.org/glob2
https://hg.globulation2.org/unitAssignmentByLeo
Merge HEAD into your unitAssingmentByLeo on your local computer.

Evertime you want to push:
# hg push https://hg.globulation2.org/unitAssignmentByLeo

address@hidden:~/globulation/hg/glob2$ hg branch unitAssignmentByLeo

This is the new branch feature.  If we want to use this, we need to give
the main branch a name to.
So what you did was introducing a sticky tag.  All revisions based on
your unitAssingmentByLeo revision will be get the same tag.

hg log -l 3
changeset:   2558:3c19ba864da8
branch:      unitAssignmentByLeo
tag:         tip
parent:      2557:9dd36c99d98c
parent:      2556:0998ba3af4f6
user:        leo <address@hidden>
date:        Sun Apr 22 07:47:49 2007 +0200
summary:     testing, barely knowing what i'm doing ...

changeset:   2557:9dd36c99d98c
branch:      unitAssignmentByLeo
parent:      2555:655306650344
user:        leo <address@hidden>
date:        Sun Apr 22 02:16:20 2007 +0200
summary:     A big change in Unit assignment:

changeset:   2556:0998ba3af4f6
user:        snth
date:        Sat Apr 21 23:05:22 2007 +0200
summary:     adding an important developer to AUTHORS ;)

If you use "hg view", you will get a good impression of what happend.

address@hidden:~/globulation/hg/glob2$ hg commit
address@hidden:~/globulation/hg/glob2$ hg push https://address@hidden/glob2/
abort: push creates new remote branches!
(did you forget to merge? use push -f to force)
address@hidden:~/globulation/hg/glob2$ hg push -f https://address@hidden/glob2/

Only thing that went wrong, is that we didn't decide on how to do branching
yet.  I now gave the rest of our repository the name "master".
So for now everyone who wants to work on the "master" branch should do:
# hg pull -r master <src>
where <src> is either the remote repository, or the local incoming directory -
depending on how you work.

hmm.. now what's that?

"hg view" will show you.
You have to active "hgk" in your ".hgrc" first to use "hg view".

Here is how is introduced the name for the other branch:

# cd incoming
# hg pull
# cd ../work
# hg pull ../incoming
# hg update 2556
# hg branch master
# hg commit -m "named main brach: master"
# cd ../outgoing
# hg pull ../work
 (I skipped pulling new remote changes)
# hg view
 (looked good)
# hg push -f https://address@hidden/glob2/
 (the -f was unnecessary, because I didn't create a new branch.
  I just gave it a new name.)

# hg log -l 4
changeset:   2559:f6f692924f90
branch:      master
tag:         tip
parent:      2556:0998ba3af4f6
user:        snth
date:        Sun Apr 22 09:35:00 2007 +0200
summary:     named main brach: master