Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Cyrille Dunant
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:24:34 +0200

On Thursday 26 April 2007 17.16:51 Kyle Lutze wrote:
> Cyrille Dunant wrote:
> > The short: we have a semantic problem. “rewrite” is a bad word.
>
> pick a better one

refactoring.

> >> You forgot:
> >> 4) implementing everything in assembler
> >
> > Not portable unfortunately :)
>
> /me chooses option 2 (I'm a ricer kind of guy)

Well, yeah, but in the end, I went for 3 (am am not that patient :) )

> > Glob2 is slowly dying from lack of players. a game dies because no one
> > plays, not because it is not developed anymore.
>
> negatory, developers are also players. if developers are working on
> it and playing it, the game is not dead.

yes, but it remains a closed community, and we have a need for various...
talents, for want of a better word.

> >> Please stop to command us around!
> >> We are working for free.  Get this into your head.
> >
> > So am I, believe it or not.
>
> does it count that drazak and I are helping out with -$ funding?

Sorry, so in fact we are not getting paid, but $$s are getting sucked. And nct
bought the domain, also.

> bastard ISPs, they just don't understand the value of free and open
> source :P Oh well, it's 100% worth it to me and I'll keep on doing
> it for as long as it doesn't break my budget.

Cool, thanks.

> > No, they started an new unit allocation mechanism algorithm. Not a
> > rewrite.
>
> if one is already in place, and they are creating a new one to put
> in it's stead, doesn't that constitute a rewrite?

not really, more of an adjustment of the game mechanisms. But if you ask nct,
he will tell you that pretty much everything was tried to get good unit
allocation.

> I don't feel like reading the rest of this, my belly is growling at
> me to get out of bed and get food, I'll let others take my place for
> using the flame throwers on each other as long as no one comes out
> dead (or leaving the project).

Have a nice breakfast!

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   The best defense against logic is ignorance.