Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:41:07 -0700

On Lots of days many glob2 devs wrote:
words

GAH! can't we all get along?!

I didn't actually read the whole thread, skimmed mails here and there but it got long and I don't have enough time, but I thought I would throw in my .02. (note from after I finished writing this: this is long, but it is worth the read for the active developers)

1) bradley wants to do a core code rewrite, LET HIM! he's not being paid to help, he's volunteering his time and doing something that desperately needs to be done and not many are willing/able to do. From what I gather he also doesn't want to work on the current code base because it's no longer fun and causes lots of headaches figuring things out and I don't want to see him leave over you guys trying to force him to continue working on that.

2) Cyrille: you seem to think rewrites are worthless and that time should be concentrated elsewhere, such as neat-o graphics. That's good, except that the guys doing the rewrites are coders, and that's their passion and they may not want/be able to do graphics that would do the game justice. On the other hand, what's stopping you?

3) I always like to point at the kernel development for this, if we had more developers it would be much more practicable too (at least from what I read this is how they do it)

each major release, such as 2.4 to 2.6 is a complete rewrite. The rewrite is done when they find a block in the previous release that prevents them from moving forward, but they keep working on the old version to help it keep going in the meantime.

that skinny version in context of glob2: as bradley said, the code started out decent, and steph and nuage did a great job, but then more futures were to be added that the current code couldn't support and two choices were presented: rewrite all the code to make room, or hack it in, many chose the ladder.

This leads us at crossroads at this point as the code has been hacked so much that it went from the starting point steph and nuage had it to to something where it's been hacked by many developers over time (I've seen probably a dozen developers come and go while I've been apart of the glob2 community) to the point where we can no longer effectively work on the code to make the game better without bashing heads.

I have to be honest, I've gotten a bit addicted to a different game with my real life friends which is half the reason I haven't been around glob2 as much, the game is eve-online. They started out with a great game, but since then have been hacking mods in where the code wasn't in place for it, but since it's an MMORPG they don't have the time to do a complete rewrite, so they keep hacking the code to do patches and now any sort of battle in the game lags to all hell, node crashes, etc. which make the game not so playable making people quit, bad reviews, and players starting to disrespect the developers of the game for putting more "features" in before fixing the annoying little bugs that don't cause the game to cease functioning, but at the same time become very annoying to the point that players start questioning if the game is still worth it (like me).

Back to glob2. The code needs a rewrite so we can more easily implement new units, buildings, put an end to some of the pesky net game drop issues, etc. There is no way around this.

On the other hand, I do believe it would be nice for the people that aren't interested on doing the rewrite to keep working on the 0.8.23 version right now. images can still be made and used in the rewrite, maps that are made can still give an example and manually remade in the new glob2, and making campaign stories are hard, but recreating the maps, waypoints, etc. aren't nearly as hard as trying to come up with the whole thing from scratch.

In a perfect world, how I think this stuff should be handled in the future: - we have a base (currently 0.8.23) that is worked on and updated, etc. until we hit enough issues that it becomes better to rewrite than continue hacking things in. At that point some of the people keep working on the old release, some people move to the next step

- we have a beta group working on a rewrite. This group should be able to take much of the extra libs and includes for a decent start, and if all code is documented in the base, and notes are included on where things were hacked in and why, it will speed up the development process of the beta to get to the point where the base is, and be able to add in extra features without the headaches that originally existed.

I can give you guys more examples of other groups/companies that use this design but I think you can get the gist of it. From what I see, Bradley is working on the rewrite, k776 has been working on small updates, documentation, and other needed but somewhat boring work, steph has been helping here and there, but like me school is a big issue right now, I got addicted to a different game and feel behind on homework and helping glob2 for a while, so now I'm turning that around to get back on track, kai, leo, and and cyrille I have absolutely no idea, and nuage seems to have moved on.

Fill in where you would like, I'm just curious how much I'm still correct on as I work towards becoming more active again.

this is not an attempt to bash nuage's and steph's code. This is just saying that developers' time and resources need to be split between keeping up work on the alpha (base version) and the rewrite as I believe even they're willing to admit that the game has evolved in a way that they weren't expecting when they first started coding the game.

cheers,
Kyle

PS: can we maybe have a scheduled irc or teamspeak/voice meeting some time and do some brainstorming for the rewrite to make sure we make it easy to implement all currently planned features and ones that people are asking for, and to get everyone on the same page as to where the project is headed and how/where/what everyone is going to be working so we aren't spending so much time bashing heads on the mailing list from now on?

a glob2 release that has most of the current bugs squashed and new features added will be released - the question is how will that happen and when it will be done, and constant threads like this one don't make it go any faster.