Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Cyrille Dunant
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:07:22 +0200

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 16.20:53 Kai Antweiler wrote:
> > Ha! what are the odds! when obviously The Coders care for nothing about
> > the other work.
>
> I think we have quite some mails in the list of coders who want to transfer
> maps by hand if necessary.  Anyone here welcomes work done anywhere
> in glob2.

Well, yes, nice people stepped up after I complained that we would still need
the maps.

> Well exept you.

This is incorrect. I complain that people keep subtly insulting nct and
nuage's work, calling their code a mess and saying essentially that it need
to be redone from scratch.

I am trying to attract your attention to the fact that if you are here, today,
contributing to glob, it is because we have a working codebase, and not a
worthless pile of junk.

More than that, we have a game that is fun to play.

> I don't reply of the rest of the mail.
> There was no information in the rest of your mail anyway - only a lot
> of aggression.

I ressented a lot the remark that if the maps had been done once, they could
be redone.

The understatement was that obviously this is basically not technical stuff,
and therefore not really important.

A good map is good after a few hours of drawing, testing, redrawing,
retesting.

A good strategy game is good because it has many _perfect_ maps. Think
Starcraft.

So yes, I am angry, because I have the feeling that non-coding contributions
are considered trivial.

> And I don't understand how anyone here could be the cause of it.

Because you are in essence saying that all that was before needs to be redone.
Ergo, it is crap.

Note, that you are not saying that you would like this or that new feature,
no, you say that the code is a mess. You have just described it as “refusing
to clean up your room, only much worse.”

So yes, I am angry, because of the understatement that all previous (old) code
is crap.

> I was about to congratulate us of the fine and hard work this month.
> Doing the releases, tests, bugfixing, wiki-rewriting, animations and

The releases highlighted massive problems in the process (well, better during
the alphas than later on). So yes, I suppose we could congratulate ourselves
for having had a couple releases :)

And the animations have usability problems (well, 50% alpha could be a fix).

> repositorial change while some core rewriting takes place is incredible.

You should thank nct for doing that on your behalf. I am not certain that it
will improve much the development process, but if it creates goodwill, it
probably was worth it.

> And don't forget the two servers we changed.
> Hopefully this will not again turn out to become a flame thread.

It _is_ a flame thread. And would you please stop trying to extinguish
perfectly good flames.

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   "When the going gets tough, the tough get empirical"
                -- Jon Carroll