Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Robert Martin
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:06:29 -0500

On 4/25/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ha! what are the odds! when obviously The Coders care for nothing about the
> other work.

I think we have quite some mails in the list of coders who want to transfer
maps by hand if necessary.  Anyone here welcomes work done anywhere
in glob2.
Well exept you.
I don't reply of the rest of the mail.
There was no information in the rest of your mail anyway - only a lot
of aggression.
And I don't understand how anyone here could be the cause of it.
I was about to congratulate us of the fine and hard work this month.
Doing the releases, tests, bugfixing, wiki-rewriting, animations and
repositorial change while some core rewriting takes place is incredible.
And don't forget the two servers we changed.
Hopefully this will not again turn out to become a flame thread.

things i can see that would make a better Game

1 the map should not in any way shape or form "wrap around" {--- this
i would consider to be a massive bug (right now the far north becomes
the far south east becomes west)

2 the maps seem to be very small (this may have changed recently
but...) you should be able to fit a swarm/ pool/school/ barracks in
without having to clear land

3 when you are building a wall run the whole section should be
considered as one "building"
you lay eight sections in a row then you should be able to have 3
workers build the whole row

4 I would have as a variant of scout a "oracle" unit -- this unit
would cause the window to expand out (say 2 "oracle" units get you a
double window) but i would also add a required energy tower and add to
the defense tower a way to shoot down hostile oracles (note this would
not clear Fog of War you would just be able to see a larger local
area)

--
Robert L Martin