Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:08:09 +0200

> I'm quite happy that development in glob2 takes places.
> I don't like the idea of focusing the development.
> I don't have the impression that the current work is diffusing.
> If someone believes that the perfect engine is a good thing and wants
> to program it, I won't stop him.
> If our users demand better campaings, we should put this on the todo
> list and get the word out that we want some.

I don't say we should slow-down with the core engine. Yet Glob2 has a bad
tradition of people rewriting the core engine alone, disconnected from the
community, that leave afterwards. This leads to the next generation redoing
the same thing.

I don't want to refrain the motivation of anyone, but we should try to work on
the game side too, to make the game lovely to contribute to.

Some times ago, I added the ability to the old map edit to skin the units. The
new map edit does not implement this possibility. This is frustrating. While
this may look like a toy feature, but it allows for ambiance customization
(the idea was to have wild animals in the solo campaign).