Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] We must do a game, not an engine
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:49:08 +0200

If we happened to completely stop all engine development now (say, save for
the bugfixing, be it at the price of hacks) An wrote really nice gfx and maps
and campaigns, we would actually produce an infinitely better game than with
a perfect engine with no game around.

I think rewriting some engine and doing some game stuff, is most realistic.

Yes I _am_ saying the rewrites are _worthless_ In fact, they have a negative
worth.

Maybe you think that way, because you didn't have to dig through the code?
In my opinion there is nothing more important then the rewrites to help
glob2 staying alive.  Otherwise development will stop soon.
Refusing to rewrite would be like refusing to clean up your room, only
much worse.

But it doesn't matter what you or I think.
My guess is that engine and ambiente will be done, but with a lower
rate.

What has a positive worth is a (finished) rewrite conducive to more features
_in_the_game_. otherwise it was a loss of time for everyone except the coder,
who presumably had fun.

Which is very important, because no one is getting money here.
Writing glob2 is about fun.

case in point: anyone plays stratagus?

I tried a couple times, but I couldn't get it to start.
Maybe they should rewrite their engine.