Re: [glob2-devel] main page announcement of bounty system

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] main page announcement of bounty system
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:40:48 +0200

Hi

First of all: I strongly believe oss will be the future in many if not all
areas of software development.
Having said that I insist in comparing glob2 with commercial products.

> You at least have to compare free strategy games!  How many are out
> there having 3D graphics?  Is any of it a real time strategy game?

TA-Spring? As far as I know they did a complete set of grafix.

> Really!  I said music - not sound FX.  Most music that I hear in free
> games
> is really cheap.  Wheather music does belong or does not belong into games
> is a different issue.  We have it.

Ever played Nexuiz? Or Tremulous? Both have great sound FX and at least the
first has great music, too.

> > > And it has much more players around the world than I know people at
> all.
> >
> > But no solid comunity of people that play online on a regular basis. For
> example
> > there has been no game on YOG for at least the past 4h.
>
> You are setting the standards too high.  Which free rts does better?

I want nothing less than to compete with the real big players in the bussines.
I do much thinking on whether to go a way like wikimedia or mozilla did. I
believe in the concept of glob2. rts will not be yet another dune2-clone
forever.

> > frustrating for 7 years of hard work.
>
> Steph, are you frustrated?

I will be if glob2 dies even with that little efford I put into the project
yet. And I will be proud if we can hit new records (20 players online, 100,
1000, ...) every now and then.
And I will keep thinking to achieve the 2nd to not wake up one day and see we
hit the first.

> Most open source project that I have seen did not survived 3 years of
> development.

when i do an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade i see many!! projects that are
older than 3 years and very vital. even when it comes to games there are at
least 100 that have fans and are older than 3 years.

> Buy the way, I have never worked longer on any software project than,
> I am working on glob2 now and I am not planning to stop - even if I'll
> just
> find time to fix some bugs at christmas.

great

> Nearly all projects that undergo a rewrite die in the process.  (We
> should have listened to Steph!)  The reason that glob2 accumulates
> patch-work-code,
> is that glob2 does so well and still lives on.

What? We shouldn't have merged the rewrite?? In my eyes it did more good than
it broke. We simply shouldn't have released it again with no testing.

> But talking about rewrite:  Leo, do you understand Erics improvements to
> the
> noise generator?  If you can work with it, we should merge it into the
> master branch.

I will look into it later.

> > We need to hit a critical mass of 100 people that play at any time. That
> would
> > motivate many to contribute.
>
> We don't need this and we probably won''t every get it.

I need it. I will never accept to write software for just me. Well yes. Some
20-liners maybe but not such a big thing. I want the reputation glob2 deservs!

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb