Re: [glob2-devel] server move to my server

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] server move to my server
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:41:15 +0200

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 03:36:31 Kieran P wrote:
> webalizer is hits, pages, visits, referrers, and kb usage moslty.
>
> A lot of the things I listed in my previous email you cant find in
> webalizer.
>
> webalizer is great for managing bandwidth, but crap at collecting anonymous
> information for marketing purposes.
>
> And a game like Globulation 2 needs good marketing, especially with beta3
> around the corner.
>
> And once its released, we'll be able to find out where people are coming
> from, which marketing worked the best (referrers, searching, or direct)
> etc.
>
> It is useful. And I'd really like it to stay.

As I said before, I fully share the worries of Leo about Google's totalitarism
[1]; which is very bad for a free world. In my opinion, as an open source
project we should not subsume the global vision of the society we want to
local marketing needs.

Have a nice day,

Steph

[1]     This is not some post Godwin-point assertion: Through its numerous
services (web, mail, social network, collaborative editing, statistic
tracking, advertising, ...), Google aims at penetrating every web market
niche. This mass of data gives it a previously unseen knowledge and control
over people and companies. The actual situation is more or less 1984 in an
urchin shell ;-(