Re: [glob2-devel] server move to my server

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] server move to my server
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:05:07 +0200

hi

must have missed this mail's long part after reading the note on the site.

> I strongly believe we should keep GA. For example, after the server move,
> we
> can see how well the site bounces back,

check

> or that we hit close to 1500 hits
> in
> one day shortly after the release of Beta2.

check

> I can also see that the visits
> are 50% from advertising at the time of a release (linux games and other
> such referrers).

check

> I can see which of these is most popular,

check

> how long
> someone
> stays at the site,

will find a solution to this if it is really necessary.

> how long they spend on the download page for example. I
> can also see that the game's website visits are 80% new and only 20%
> returning, of which 80% only come to the site once (thats 7000 people in
> this month alone that didn't give a second look).

This is the kind of logging I don't want. This works through the google cookies.
We can have it through own cookies.
Also these figures are neither way accurate as many people delete cookies on
exit not to mention logging in from different browsers or PCs.

> I can see that 32% of
> people who visit the Main Page leave right away, 46% of people who go to
> the
> download page exit there and do not continue viewing the site.

awstats can do that

> The Main
> Page
> is the top landing page, with Download and Install in second place (so
> after
> download changes, now we work on the homepage, spruce it up a bit).

check

> I can
> see that the top 3 content pages include Screenshots, so we might like to
> release a slew of them for the release of Beta3. I can also see that 27 in
> the past month have come to the site using the keyword "globulation 2
> campaign" or some variation, which shows that we'll need to have a
> campaign
> at some point (I'm happy to do but need more SGSL commands). I can also
> see
> that french and german languages are in the top 3 of visitors languages,
> so
> we know to focus on both wiki and game translations of those two languages
> the most (which is great, we have devs who speak those languages so
> translating should be no problem).

check check check check

> As you can see, Google Analytics can be very helpful in finding out what
> we
> need, who to target, what to improve etc. Its not just a "we got 9000 hits
> this month, yay" tool.

like others aint such tools neither.

> And if you notice above, there is no private information shared in the
> process. I never saw any names, addresses, emails, ips, where someone had
> been all day long.

we don't share this information with our visitors. we only share them with
google. google itself can personalize them through all their personalized
services.

> As far as I'm concerned, if someone doesn't like
> Google,
> thats their issue. The main thing is we're not getting their information,
> we're not invading their privacy. And if Google breaks their privacy
> policy,
> then its up to each person to block GA, or contact Google.

people don't know how to do this. **I** don't know how to do this. I **think**
I successfully blocked them but I don't **know** this for certain. I just don't
see the need to support this very powerfull controller of information.

call me paranoid but googling for google critics i got broken links and missing
hits to sites i know exist and are rather popular. at least far more popular
than all my private sites that all are in the index.

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb