Re: Long Journey towards Sparc

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: Long Journey towards Sparc
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 11:38:57 +0000

john o goyo <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings, Gaius.
>
> As I am nearing retirement, I should have the time to learn why gm2 is
> not generating correct sparc code.  (gm2-4.7.4 was the last version that
> generated correct code.)

Hi John,

congratulations on near retirement!

> A first step is the following.  The build reports that types in
> SYSTEM.def are generated.  What does that mean, Gaius?  I am mystified
> about what happens.

this is the gcc-4.7.4/gcc/gm2/tools-src/makeSystem
script which tests target types in GCC and produces the system specific
type CARDINAL8, CARDINAL16, CARDINAL32 and friends.  It finally produces
SYSTEM.def files found in the build directory.

How difficult would it be to try and build the gm2 from the gcc trunk on
the sparc?  Or is this out of the question?