gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] gNewSense complete theme revision idea

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] gNewSense complete theme revision idea
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:36:25 +0930

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:11:42 +0200
"Frederique W. Piccart" <address@hidden> wrote:

> As for the upcoming gNewSense 3.0, together with the website revision
> preceding it, I was thinking of maybe renewing the gNewSense theme art
> completely, including the logo. I believe gNewSense will grow out to

Are you suggesting we drop the tree completely, or the (two)
existing logos?)

> I was thinking we could be really proud of, such as the Debian theme,
> which is really liked by many, but disregarded due to what it

Not sure what you are refering to here; the artwork Debian 5 shipped
with, or the proposals put up after Debconf.

> represents. A good idea might be to go for a modern approach.

I quite like the 2.x artwork (gdm login/desktop), do you not think this
is a modern look?

> As for the logo, I was thinking of a silver like power orb, consuming
> energy surrounding it to a single point in the center. This could
> represent the strength of true free software, and how it brings people
> together.

I'm still left wondering _why_ we should change the logo in this way.

(trim)

> I also don't know if we should put a lot of text in our themes. I know
> gNewSense came to existence to provide true freedom, but I don't think
> we should put this everywhere such as on the login screen, on the
> wallpapers, and so on.

Text should be minimal - in an artwork, ideally no more then
'gNewSense'. other things which could go in it are version and the
tagline, but the version should probably be avoided as well.

> I'm sorry if this might be a bit rough or confusing, I tried to
> express in the best possible way.
>
> gNewSense 3.0 might be something that could take a long time from now,
> so this gives the artwork team the time to try different things, and
> maybe implement extra ideas if they try out the above.

I hope between 3-6 months.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)