Re: IrDA sniffing (was: CVS update: SMSC fixes)

From: Markus Plail
Subject: Re: IrDA sniffing (was: CVS update: SMSC fixes)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:38:56 +0200

Hi Pawel and *!

* Pawel Kot writes:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, michael muhlhaus wrote:
>> But not for an IrDA connection, right? AFAIK, the 6510 is IrDA only.

> I think you can have the cable for 6510, just like with 3310 and
> similiar.  You would just need a cable with a "holder" for the battery
> -- the slot is unter the battery.

Yes. Just saw those cables. There is a cable for the 33*0 series and one
for 8310/6510. The first for 15 EUR and the latter for 25 EUR.

>> One good pointer is here, but it seems to require two computers with
>> IrDA support, which is one more than I have currently:
>> http://www.roads.lut.ac.uk/lists/gnokii/2002/03/0205.html

> Indeed. For irda sniffig you would probably need two irda devices, but
> I think it would be possible to have some irda sniffer (as the portmon
> is for the serial port) too.

I don't think so actually. I have tried hard to find such a solution,
but didn't really find one. There was one which enabled a dummy serial
port which I then tried to use with vmware. Didn't really work
though. Perhaps with wine.. don't know. But it is surely not as easy as
with serial communication. Windows totally blocks the serial port which
is used for IrDA communication.

regards
Markus