Re: relacing the operating system in a phone

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: relacing the operating system in a phone
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:37:30 +0200

Hi!

> Anyone know anything about hacking the kernel in a nokia phone? I'd
> quite like to try putting some form of linux on a spare one I've got.
> Does anyone know if there is such a project, or if there is a way of
> lifting the existing OS out of a phone, or flashing in a new one (just
> via the serial port I mean).

Replacing OS on the phone will be "interesting". What you can do is
take java-capable phone (sl45i, 6310i) and start writing your own
apps. (That's what I'm doing just now on
www.sf.net/projects/javaphone, and everyone is welcome to help).

Of course uclinux would be way more sexy, but also *lot* more work.
                                                                Pavel
--
I'm address@hidden "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at address@hidden