Re: Request for comments, Save and Read Calendar files in vcal format

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Request for comments, Save and Read Calendar files in vcal format
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:49:48 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Ulrich Hopp wrote:

> at the moment I can't help Pawel with the calendar problems because I can't
> save my business calendar entrys to the phone ( Nokia/win2000 problem).
> ( in my privat calendar I have only  a few entrys ), but there is a Gnu
> Win2000 program called outport, which can export Outlook calendar entries to
> vcal format.

Oh, I made my tests doing the multible inserts with gnokii. Something
like:
for i in `seq 1 700`; do sed -e s/@XXX@/$i/ < cal.template | gnokii
--writecalendar

> But there are no functions in xgnokii to read these entries from a file or
> save them to a file.

You can do it with gnokii for sure.

[idea1]
> Writing a plugin for korganizer, which connects with the help of gnokii to the
> phone and synchronizes the phone entries with the korganizer

[idea2]
> integrate this function in xgnokii using the libkcal

I'd prefer another solution ;-) I'd like to have general support for this
in libgnokii. I mean: we should have some functions in API that allow
import/export in some generic format (vCal/vCard seems to be a good
format). There are for sure some well known generic ways to exchange such
information between applications (SyncML?). Once this is recognized, and
we have the generic support in libgnokii, we could start think of adding
such functionality into xgnokii or even writing stand alone application.

What I'd like to avoid is writing extra driver (or plugin) for every
application that may take an advantage of communicating with gnokii (so I
say no to linking with libkcal).

I hope it is clear enough, if not I'll try to elaborate more.

pkot