Request for comments, Save and Read Calendar files in vcal format

From: Ulrich Hopp
Subject: Request for comments, Save and Read Calendar files in vcal format
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:45:27 +0100

Hi,

at the moment I can't help Pawel with the calendar problems because I can't
save my business calendar entrys to the phone ( Nokia/win2000 problem).
( in my privat calendar I have only  a few entrys ), but there is a Gnu
Win2000 program called outport, which can export Outlook calendar entries to
vcal format.
But there are no functions in xgnokii to read these entries from a file or
save them to a file.

So I'm thinking of implementing these functions .

Solution 1 could be :

Writing a plugin for korganizer, which connects with the help of gnokii to the
phone and synchronizes the phone entries with the korganizer

Advantage :   ( I didn't dig to deep into it, perhaps I'm wrong and very naive
here ;-) )
- all needed function for import/export are present in korganizer
- may be its easier to write a plugin

Disadvantage :

- you must install kde ? ( not every one likes this)
- you may have problems because in my case the 6310 initialization doesn*'t
work very well ( Nokia problem ). With xgnokii you only start when you got
the phone initialized

Solution 2 :

integrate this function in xgnokii using the libkcal

Advantage :

- you can make use of the functions of libkcal
- you are not leaving xgnokii

Disadvantage :

- you need the Qt libs, license problem ?
- you must integrate the libkcal some how into the source tree

any further comments ?

regards Uli