Re: Windows GUI Interface for Gnokii

From: Ladislav Michl
Subject: Re: Windows GUI Interface for Gnokii
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:04:33 +0100

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:37:41AM +0000, Marcus Godehardt wrote:

>Would it be possible to use a toolkit that is available for both
>windows and unices? There was some talk about a new GUI anyways. Thus
>we wouldn't have to double the effort.

>  There is a Toolkit available called XVT you can use it under Windows or Unix
> based OS, but its very
>  expensive and i have writeen several programs with it, but i think for best
> performance the front end
>  the GUI has to be written in native OS code.

I agree with you. GUI is not too complicated so there is no reason to
make in cross-platform.

>  I have XP in Win32, Linux and Sun Solaris OS, i write server for those OS
> and its no problem for me to
>  write code which runs under both OS ( i do it at my job )

Just FYI, there is AbiWord project that runs on plenty OSes and I like
the way they are going. It is object oriented and is using as much
common code as possible.

>  As CVS System i use Java based program ( runs under WIn32, Linux and Sun
> Solaris ) called SmartCVS its
>  nice and the base version is free.
>
>  VC6.0 uses special makefile ( its not compatible with other makefiles )  and
> i will use MFC ( makes
>  development easier )

Nice. This is the way which leads to small and fast applications.
(standalone CBuilder application doing nothing has about 170kB)

I'll try to get gnokii to ready to use state for windows this weekend.
But keep in mind that includes are still not organized in final way. We
are aiming to have only one include called gnokii-api.h which will import
gnokii interface to your application. Because file moving without
history lost is not possible without help of savannah people includes
moving is still not done :( Ouch, and it seems that headers are not C++
ready...

>  In my project i will use different coding styles, i know u prefer K&R style,
> i myself use RogueWave
>  Style
>
>  all var names from objects start with its ( or is ) for eg itsParent,
> isActive and so, local Variable
>  names have a or an for eg aObject and func vars have the for eg theString. I
> use no tabs instead 4
>  spaces and func look like this
>
>  /************************************************************
>   *
>   ************************************************************/
>  void func foo(int theCount)
>  {
>      for ( int i=0; i<10;i++)
>      {
>          int a = 1;
>       }
>   }

well it's your project so use your usual convention. also i'd like to
ask under what licence are you going to release your project.

also bear in mind that gnokii is mostly ready for multiple phones support
so it would be great to desing GUI this way.

once again, please try to send your posts as plain text. thanks a lot.

regards,
        ladis

PS. please accept my excuse for previous reply, it seems, that you are the
right man who is able to do your GUI as great as its name is :)