IBM Thinkpad 380Z

From: Bob Shaffer ][
Subject: IBM Thinkpad 380Z
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:06:17 -0500 (EST)

This isn't directly related to the Gnokii Project, but because I found
gnokii before I found my solution I figured I would post the solution here
in case someone else stumbled across the Gnokii project with the same
problem.

Anyway, as it turns out, the problem I was having was not with the phone
but actually with the serial port that I was connecting it to.  I
connected a normal modem that I knew to work with linux when I realized
that this might be a problem and confirmed it.

So on to the resolution...

It turns that this problem is specific to the IBM Thinkpad model 380Z.  I
found that by downloading the Thinkpad Utilities for DOS:

Self-extracting disk image:
ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles/uttpfdos.exe

README file:
ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles/uttpfdos.txt

Once it was installed, I had to execute the following commands from DOS:
ps2 sera address 1
ps2 sera enable
ps2 ir address 2
ps2 ir enable

Then I rebooted and started the computer in linux.

After that, the modem seemed to respond on the serial port exactly as I
would expect a modem to respond (to normal AT commands).

I'll try the gnokii software for working with the phone books and stuff
and will, of course, report any problems or successes I have.  I will also
stay subscribed to the list so that I can participate in the advancement
of the project.

        - Bob Shaffer ][ -