Re: How detect incoming call?????

From: Chris Martinus
Subject: Re: How detect incoming call?????
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:24:17 +0200

I have been doing this kind of work for about 2 years now.  Just a few
insights:

1.  Don't bother about the Microchip PIC processors.  They don't have the
performance to deal with data rates of 115200bps AND do something else
useful at the same time.  I have been using the Atmel AVR processors for our
products (see http://www.autobleep.com) - and they are programmed entirely
in C!

2.  Trying to port gnokii (or at least large segments of it) to a
microcontroller chip is not really practical.  Bear in mind that the
developers of gnokii have at least 64Mb or more RAM at their disposal.
Trying to shoehorn code developed in that environment into a processor with
8K - 16K program memory and 1K - 2K RAM just doesn't fit!

3.  I have used gnokii to gain insight into the protocols and have nicked
the occasional snippet of code (the authentication code for example) and I
am grateful to the developers of gnokii for providing me with the
opportunity to plagiarise their hard work.  Thanks, guys!

4.  The approach to coding on a microcontroller is somewhat different in
order to conserve meagre resources.  For example, I decode the FBUS packets
on-the-fly, rather than first reading them into a buffer and then picking
out the bits I want.

5.  What may be of interest is that a few days ago I got the code that runs
on the AutoBleep product to run on a PC running FreeBSD.

6.  On another matter, I am watching Osma's revival of the 3110 code with
interest.  3110s are cheap and plentiful and may well be useful for some of
our applications.

Keep up the good work!