Re: phone number and/or vcard handling bug?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: phone number and/or vcard handling bug?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:26:20 +0200

Hi,

On 6/20/05, Zrubecz Laszlo <address@hidden> wrote:
> If I try to put it to my phone:
> cat Zrubecz_Péter.vcf |gnokii --writephonebook -f -m ME -v
>
> I get this error message:
> Write Succeeded: memory type: Internal memory, loc: 10, name: Péter Zrubecz,
> number:
> Data format is not valid.

I think that's fine. Wirtephonebook works in a loop. It tries to write
a second entry, but  there's none, so there's only first entry saved.
The error message is bogus.

> There will be an entry in my phone with correct name and the NOTE entry,
> but without the others :(

Indeed. That's because gnokii supports only subset of the entry types.
And I'm afraid your phone neither supports all of them.

> There is a lot of garbage from evolution, with are useless in my phone,
> but the gnokii should ignore it...

And it does ignore it.

> When I try to correct this file to a 'gnokii friendly' format a found
> two reasos for this error:
>
> - the TYPE declaration like: 'TEL;TYPE=CELL;X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=3:' is
> unknown fro gnokii. gnokii is only accept: 'TEL;CELL:' format.

That's right.

> - the number format like: '+36 (20) 555-2222' is invalid in gnokii.
> gnokii is only accept '+36205552222' format.
> (This 'bug' is the same when I'm try the ldif format)

That's not a bug. That's a feature. This is the only format that the
phone accepts a number format. And I think it is not good to let
gnokii to do the conversion, because it may be buggy. It's better to
leave it to user. Of course it would be much easier with some GUI.

I was thinking about more general support of the vCard format, bu tI
haven't found any library that would be still supported and easy to
use. Any hints for that?

take care,
pkot
--