Re: phone number and/or vcard handling bug?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: phone number and/or vcard handling bug?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:55:31 +0200

Hi,

On 6/21/05, Zrubecz Laszlo <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2005-06-20, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > > There will be an entry in my phone with correct name and the NOTE entry,
> > > but without the others :(
> >
> > Indeed. That's because gnokii supports only subset of the entry types.
> > And I'm afraid your phone neither supports all of them.
> Of course not, but what about the numbers and emails, etc?

They are supported. You need to use the following syntax:
TEL;VOICE:...
TEL;HOME:...
TEL:CELL:...
TEL:FAX:...
TEL:WORK:...
TEL:PREF:...
EMAIL:INTERNET:...
etc.

> > > - the TYPE declaration like: 'TEL;TYPE=CELL;X-EVOLUTION-UI-SLOT=3:' is
> > > unknown fro gnokii. gnokii is only accept: 'TEL;CELL:' format.
> >
> > That's right.
> Well, maybe the vcard from evolution is broken too, but this format is looks
> OK.

And gnokii doesn't support evolution format at the moment.

> > > - the number format like: '+36 (20) 555-2222' is invalid in gnokii.
> > > gnokii is only accept '+36205552222' format.
> > > (This 'bug' is the same when I'm try the ldif format)
> >
> > That's not a bug. That's a feature. This is the only format that the
> > phone accepts a number format. And I think it is not good to let
> > gnokii to do the conversion, because it may be buggy. It's better to
> > leave it to user.
> But the main feature of vcard import that we can put the phonebook data
> from other applications like evolution and others. Of course we are
> using separator characters like '/', '-', '(', ')' and space for better
> reading.
> The concersion is very phone specific, so if I have more than one phone,
> or I just upgrade my phone I had to correct all of my other phonebook
> sources to keep compatibility with my new phone? It is nonsense.
>
> It's ok, that the conversion can be buggy, but what can't? What if we
> can force the conversion with an option? I think the inport feature is
> useless witout the phone specific conversions.

Please make a suggestion how we should implement it.

> And what about the ldif import capabilities? There is any compatibility
> problem like this with vcard?

I think so, but I'm not sure if ldif standard is so liberal as vcard
standard (if not, there should be less problems).

take care,
pkot
--
Pawel Kot