Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fixing the problem of posting to the old mailing li

From: Jonathan Walther
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:24:49 -0700

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:08:03AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:04:49AM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:36:02PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:06:04PM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>>On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:42:42AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>>>address@hidden is officially dead, though it is
>>>lingering.
>>
>>Tom.  Maybe try changing the Reply-To: line for both mailing lists to be
>>address@hidden  Right now the Reply-To: line for the old list
>>makes people send to the old list, not the new one.
>
>reply-to munging is evil.

You know what?  That is a very flippant and unhelpful answer, that
doesn't take into account the reality of the situation.  The situation
is, Reply-To munging IS done, so you might as well do it for a good
cause.

google for `reply-to munging considered harmful'

Again, that is a flippant, unhelpful answer.  I mirror the reply-to
considered harmful article on my website.  I've had it there for years.
I know what it says.  But it is also plain WRONG.  The world has moved
on, and most mail clients don't support the standards.  Do I bitch and
moan because M$ email clients tell everyone that my properly RFC
compliant emails in full MIME format have "unrecognized attachments" and
are "probably viruses"?  Adapt to reality.  reply-to munging is done on
the gnu and the original mailing list because most peoples mail clients
otherwise send list mails to private individuals; might as well make it
consistent and helpful.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2