Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [arch-users] hooks and remote archives

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [arch-users] hooks and remote archives
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:59:59 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Egan <address@hidden>

    > Bruce Stephens wrote:

    > >You can't do this, because there's currently nothing in the client
    > >that uses hooks defined in the archive.  And there's no server to do
    > >stuff.

    > >So you'll need to do it by introducing some kind of process.  For
    > >example, for the archive that many people may commit to (perhaps
    > >because it represents what you'd use the CVS HEAD for, or because
    > >you're wanting to have something to make releases from, or whatever),
    > >you could have that archive owned by a special user, and set up that
    > >user with whatever hooks you want.

    > Sorry for the dupe request.  I didn't see my first message for a while
    > so I thought it was lost.
    >
    > This is a significant minus for arch for us.  We use the commit emails
    > as a kind of informal code review process.

    > I guess I could set up some kind of cron job to send out change mails,
    > right?

That'd be the simplest thing and the `archive-snapshot' command is
designed to make it easy to use `make(1)' to write such a job.  For
the purpose of informal code review, I'd think this is an ideal
solution.

Synchronous notifications from remote archives require a tiny bit of
hacking.   srp has made noises about providing a CGI transport that
would, among other things, provide this capability.   It's only about
2kLOC from where we are.....   There's plenty of other approaches, as
well.