Re: [Gnu-arch-users] future of the wiki

From: Jason McCarty
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] future of the wiki
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:45:05 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
[...]
> * one alternative to the wiki
>
>   An alternative to the wiki might be to "eat our own dogfood", so
>   to speak.
>
>   Specifically, one idea is to replace the wiki with an arch archive
>   of web content, to which we can give fairly liberal write access,
>   and from which some site somewhere can be auto-updated.

I quite like this idea. Given a revision library and ViewArch on the
server, you also get diffs between revisions like on the wiki.

However, to protect ourselves from potential vandalism, I think it would
have to run on one of those smart servers we're always hypothesizing.
Preventing corruption of the history is easy enough; it could simply be
a WebDAV server that disallowed modification or deletion of existing
files. But I think reliable attribution would be harder --- you might
want the server to rewrite the logfile with the ID of the person
submitting it. I'm not sure how well that would work.

Jason