[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Some "How Do I" questions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Some "How Do I" questions
Date: 25 Aug 2003 10:36:41 +0900

John Goerzen <address@hidden> writes:
> 4. How can I create freeform tags?  Ie, cvs tag REL_4_0_1 or
>    cvs tag BEFORE_CHANGING_BIGSTUFF?

Those would be valid branch names in arch if you changed `_' to `-'
(I've no idea why arch disallows `_'; perhaps this restriction could be
removed).

Also note you probably don't even need to use tags at all for everything
you would in CVS, because in CVS you often use tags merely to give a
short convenient name to a particular snapshot of the sources, and the
actual _details_ of the name don't matter (that is, it's not intended
for widespread consumption).  In arch _every_ revision is a short
convenient name for a particular snapshot of the sources, so it might be
easier just to note the name of that revision in a file, whether
manually or by using arch's `configs' mechanism, or even write it down
on a piece of paper!

Many times, it's not even really necessary to record it at all, since it
would be obvious from simply looking at the commit history -- if your
big change just borked things, you can look at the output of
`tla abrowse -s', see the changeset `BIG STUFF', and undo it.

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Ghandi