Re: [Gnu-arch-users] towards standards specifications

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] towards standards specifications
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:47:31 +0100

On 2003-08-28 03:21:33 +0100 Tom Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
Not to be too much M-x doctorish but, "Why are you not happy with the
current tla implementation of inventory, but that's probably because
you don't understand it enough?"

* Are the tag id formats significant? Some start A_ and some start x_, IIRC.
* What should be tagged?
* Why are directories given such special treatment?
* Why the scattering over so many files instead of a {arch}/inventory?

Some of those may be out of date. I've not been playing in that code recently.

[...]
Well, the rule is that the changeset stored by `commit' should be an
exact changeset against the immediate ancestor revision.   So, while a
"raw-commit" command that trusts the user and stores an arbitrary
changeset is a small matter of hacking, it's not a great idea for
general use.   The magic words would be something like:

I'll confess here: I'm wondering about multiple interoperating changeset-using systems with changeset tarballs being sent between users somehow. How would arch play with that? A possible first step to arch world domination is to get people interacting with archers, making it easy to make tools that produce things arch can use, and then convince them of the extra benefits.