[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness
Date: 29 Aug 2003 10:11:04 +0900

Jason McCarty <address@hidden> writes:
> Projects that build inside the source tree can be problematic with tla.
> With explicit or tagline tagging, all the .o files are considered
> unrecognized, and other generated files are treated as untagged
> source,

Can't you just add .o + the binary names (&c) to the =tagging-method
regexps?  Currently you'll have problems if you need such names to be
specific to particular subdirectories, but I gather the more powerful
system that can deal with that is already in some yet-uncommitted branch
somewhere.

CVS and other systems have exactly the same issue except that they
usually complain rather than falling over (and this stuff should be
tweaked in arch).

You wouldn't notice this issue with most projects because they've
already got well-tuned .cvsignore files; as someone suggested, once the
new more-powerful regexps are in, a simple script could automatically
generate them from existing .cvsignore files.

> so many commands fail (including what-changed) if you don't clean up the
> tree first.

I agree this aspect should be cleaned up a bit, but I think it's a
matter of slight tweaking rather than a wholesale change in attitude.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.