Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness

From: Jason McCarty
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:31:42 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
[...]
>    I'm not sure that could have been avoided.  _I_ would have thought
>    "Ok, sure, a very limited `inventory', such as could be implemented
>    with `find' and `sed', really suggests using an enhanced discipline
>    about how you layout your source trees -- but that's a good thing."
>    As you can see from list archives, though, it's too much of a
>    religious issue with too many people.

It seems like more of a cost/benefit issue to me, although I suppose
some people have objected for "religious" (really familiarity and
resistance to change) reasons.

The additional restrictions ("enhanced discipline," I hope I'm not
butchering your meaning) do impose some planning and design overhead on
the programmer, and although that may increase the quality of their
code, it also increases the difficulty of getting started on a project,
or especially the difficulty of converting an existing project to arch.
Also, without understanding why such discipline is good for them,
inexperienced programmers may have a rough time until they experience
first-hand benefits, when it saves their ass months down the road.

So, in order to help beginning and intermediate arch users, it would be
good to have a page on the wiki or somewhere that discusses the
unobvious advantages of those design aspects that seem to make things
harder. Perhaps I'll start one this weekend.

Jason