Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:10:59 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Adam Sampson <address@hidden>

    > On a tangent, all the proposals I've seen so far have "arch" in the
    > name -- wouldn't unique tags be useful for other version control
    > systems too, and thus be worth designing as a cross-system standard?

    > (I suppose that if we can't persuade them to use arch right now, then
    > at least we can make it less painful for them to change later...)

This is a good idea but it may not be necessary.   If you poke around
in src/tla/=TODO you can see that the idea there is to add a directive
to =tagging-method, `embedded-tag REGEXP'  as in:

        tagline ==
                external-tag
                embedded-tag            ^[[:punc:]]*arch-tag:[[:blank:]]*
                untagged-source         source

Part of the implication of the recent discussions is that, in addition
to a regexp just to find the id line, we will need a regexp to find
the part of that line that contains the tag, and a value to say how
the tag is quoted:

        tagline ==
                external-tag
                embedded-tag,line=>     ^[[:punc:]]*arch-tag:[[:blank:]]*
                embedded-tag,cstr=1
                untagged-source         source

Soon we'll be write up there with sendmail.