Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness

From: Douglas Philips
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tagline robustness
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:09:00 -0400

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 22:41 US/Eastern, Jonathan Walther wrote:
On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 09:06:37PM -0400, Miles Bader wrote:
Well as I understand it the outstanding proposal (by tom) is to have arch-id: only consider things within double-quotes as significant. That gives the user freedom to choose a tag that has no `weird' characters (they could do basically do that with arch-tag: too, except for the problem of the comment
end-delimiter in C).

Cool. I like this proposal.  Will the tags inside "" be standard C
strings, with all the usual escapes?  \n, \r, \t, \0, \\, etc?

Ah, Ok, as another fresh newbie, what would be the advantage to that? Aren't the tags supposed to be both readable and useful to arch/tla? What does it help to pretend that they're strings. Next thing you'll be asking for printf escapes too! ;-) ;-)

Actually, that tla is written in C shouldn't necessarily overly influence its external appearance. I'm working on projects using other languages, so C-centricity is a turn off.

Just my buck two-fitty,
   <D\'gou